Sunday, October 5, 2008

long overdue



I finally finished a pair of silhouettes I promised to a family friend. The boy's figure contains thorny brambles and roots and bare, angular trees with a single crow perched on one of their branches. I forgot to get pictures of the girl that accompanied this one, but her figure contained raindrops and an underwater scene of fish and octopi meandering across her skirts.

I'm getting the hang of my swiveling Exacto. Honestly, I thought some of the vines in the boy were a little clumsy. If the portrait hadn't been so overdue I would have asked for more time to render a smoother version. The girl turned out pretty well, though.


I was afraid I was going to have to buy a new scanner, which would have set my budget back quite a lot, but this picture actually turned out pretty sharp. In fact, that weird stain in the lower righthand corner? That's a stain on the window, not the paper. The sunlight coming through at six in the evening backlit the silhouette really well, even better than my old scanner would, and I didn't have to adjust the color or saturation to accurately show the woodgrain pattern. This has potential, I think.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh, this is so beautiful!...and yes the photo is just fine!

    (I also have real issue with taking picures of things but all large scale art relies on high quality photos so it must be possible!?)

    ReplyDelete