Thursday, July 29, 2010

late plantings: the first harvest and some roughs

It seems like I'm spending this summer playing a little catch-up. I've been working on a few different sets of drawings, some for my personal work and some for the Etsy shops I've put on hiatus. I'm planning on splitting my Etsy work into two shops, one which I have yet to open: Pen and Paper will transition to DIY printable stationary and gifts in PDF form, and the new shop - Ink and Ginger - will feature my silhouette and drawing work.



Here are a couple pencil layouts for the "Coney Island" drawings, based on Depression-era sideshow attractions.

Meanwhile, my garden is finally delivering some goods despite a late planting!



It's a modest harvest, but enough to shine in tonight's dinner. That's red shiso on the left, and the first cherry belle radish (which I picked a little prematurely) on the right. I dressed both of them in a mixture of toasted sesame oil, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper and served it with some freshly cooked rice and lentils.

Sadly, the seedlings I photographed in the last post all died. I think some fungus gnats got in through the screen and wiped them out. Luckily I have enough seeds for another planting but it's a bummer all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment